Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Recent goings on

Kiddos: They can drive you crazy, right? (Meant in the nicest way possible, of course)! :-)

Shelby was sick last week for a day or so, which meant that I ran out to stock up on emergency supplies: soup, ginger ale, cold and flu meds, and Clorox wipes. I don't think she had an actual virus, but sure enough, Lolo, Dave, and I are all feeling a little out of sorts this week.

Lolo was running a fever Sunday night and most of Monday, yet I still went with Dave to see George Carlin's show last night. Hey, what can I say...we've had tickets for a month and a half, and they weren't cheap. And if Lolo had been blowing chunks, I would have stayed behind...as it was, she slept the whole time we were gone. (Gosh...all this rambling on. Could it be that I've got a case of good 'ol Mommy Guilt?)! Anyway, excellent show, although I got the impression that some folks there didn't realize that Mr. Carlin is an atheist. Some of his religious stuff got fewer laughs, I thought.

We had our taxes done, and it looks like we're getting a decent chunk back. David and I have decided that we absolutely cannot do without a 2nd desktop 'puter. Keep in mind we own one desktop and two laptops, but nevertheless...4 kids + 2 parents = 4 computers. Let me tell you, it's no easy thing to find time on the "big" computer, by the way. I need to be on fairly often because we have the printer hooked up here, and this is also where I like to load most of my pics. Tori would eat and sleep right here, beside the desktop, if I let her. The desktop computer is the only one that has Maple Story installed, and Tori absolutely adores this game. I also have tons of the kids' Favorites stored on this computer.

Ashlyn hates using a laptop (her words). She likes using a mouse, but hates "that wittle box that you put your fingers on"! (Ashlyn is a big fan of the word "hate", lately...no wishy-washy vocabulary with this one). Somewhere, we have a portable mouse that you can hook up to a laptop, but who the hell knows where it is? Lost (or tossed) in the move, probably.

I've managed to jot down (on paper) some unschooling "Aha!" moments, and will be posting them here in the next little bit. I'll leave you with just one:

Tonight Ashlyn was writing letters, and also some words she likes, and she got really frustrated when she "reversed" a capital Z. I asked to see her paper, and she had written each letter perfectly, with the exception of that pesky Z, so I said, "Ash...this is brilliant work! Don't worry so about one little letter"! She seemed to feel better after that, but then I took a pink pen and drew a big check-mark and (without thinking) wrote "A+".

Ashlyn promptly read it, and said, "What does a letter, PLUS mean? I just don't get it".

Funny.

I just told her it meant super-great-terrific. No further explanation necessary.

No comments: