Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, May 6, 2007

TV as school?

One of my good friends and fellow unschoolers posed this query on our local online homeschool group:


I know many of you don't do TV at all or only in a very limited capacity. But for those of you whose families *do* watch: what are your favorites? What should we check out and be able to "call it school"?

Here is my reply, which took a couple of hours to put together. Lots of good stuff here. So much, in fact, that I got a little lost hopping from link to link, reading reviews and articles and planning future tapings on our DVR.


Well, you know us...we learn from every thing! Books, TV, music, internet...they're all equally valuable here. I don't like calling any of it "school" though...*ugh*...what an ugly word that is . That's why I like the NLSV "Educational Freedom" parties. No mention of that vile place whatsoever!

Anyway, here are some rambling thoughts about what kinds of things we've been enjoying lately, specifically from television.

MHD (High Def Music): I just recently blogged about some of the cool shows I've recorded on MHD. Chili Peppers Live in Milan, Storytellers-Green Day, etc. All good stuff.

VH1's
Best Week Ever (Oh, come ON...a good dose of pop culture is just as good as Shakespeare anyday)! We don't watch much on VH1 at all, except for this little gem. Oh, and their I Love the 80s (and 70s and 90s)!

On BBC America, we're watching
Robin Hood (another good friend suggested this one to me). Also, on BBCA, Whose Line is it Anyway (the original, British version, of course)!

Oh hell...I'll just make a list of some of the stuff I've got saved (or am set to record) on the DVR.

On NBC, we watch
The Office, 30 Rock, and My Name is Earl. These are just fun to watch together...no real learning going on, unless you consider the human behavior element in these shows ( if you've ever worked in an office, you'll know that The Office is spot on)! Arrested Development, natch...still the best show ever. I record it for the hell of it...we already own the entire series on DVD. It's just that good of a series.

HOLY CRAP...You can watch all the episodes for free on MSN, right now! GO do it!


OK, on to the impressive, snobby stuff! ;-)

PBS HD:
Everyday Edisons

BBCA: ShakespeaREtold: Much Ado about Nothing

Caligula: Reign of Terror (not sure which channel this was on, probably History)

The
Planet Earth series on Discovery HD

On
HCI (History International):

Investigating History: The Holy Grail
Adventure of English (history of the English language)
Strange Egypt
Naked Archaeologist (Jesus: The Early Years and John the Baptist)
Infamous Murders (Murder by Decree and Intent on Murder)
What the Victorians Did for Us
The Worst Jobs in History (Shepherd boy, nettle farmer, sin eater...good stuff)!


On
Discovery Health I'm recording Reality Matters: Teen Sexuality and Healthy Decadence with Devin Alexander: Chocoholics Unite!

On
Biography: Ancient Mysteries with Leonard Nimoy and The Unexplained: Cannibals

On ALTVN (I admit, I have NO idea what ALTVN stands for...if you know, give me a holler. I'm stumped). Anyway, two shows that looked promising were:
Til Debt Do Us Part and Fixing Dinner.

((Hmmm...both of these showed up as Canadian TV shows...the plot thickens.))

On
HIST (History Channel, duh), I'm recording Spider Man Tech and The Amazing Story of Superman for my geeky fan-boy. OK...for me, too. Comic lovers unite!

Other, random shows we usually record:
Law and Order SVU, Legends of the Hidden Temple , on Nick GAS, The Magic Schoolbus, on TLC, Penn and Teller: Bullshit!, on Showtime, Weeds (also on Showtime), and Heroes (NBC- Just started watching this one). OH, Gray's Anatomy (Yes, I'm a chicky-poo).

Of course, I'm recording
American Idol, but I root for the worst singers. I'm that girl.

Happy TVing!

3 comments:

hestiahomeschool said...

We just got cable so we are watching a bit more than we used to. A current love is Meerkat Manor, since we are animal nuts. Shelby just adored a show on the History channel in Search of Dragons...but basically, the kids love nature shows and some history shows.

djs_111 said...

I found a blog that had this on it, if that makes you fell better...

In the middle of all this nonsense I discovered that I once again have the digital channels, which includes one called ALTVN (I have no idea what it means).

http://tinyurl.com/2th39w

hestiahomeschool said...

You asked:

"BTW, I'm uber-impressed with your brushes with celebs! Are you seeking these people out? :-)"

Nope, I just seem to be in places where they are and when they are not surrounded by fans---at horse shows even people like WIlliam Shatner are just horse people. He came over to admire a nice foal I was showing in a halter class.

I met Jane Goodall because my mentor in college studied with her in Gombe for several years.

Really, I am not very interested in celebrities at all.I never watch reality television and I am not really impressed by fake celebrities...

My own life is pretty interesting!

love, Kas