Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

No good cure for Autism

I love Google Alerts, most of the time. I get a little goofy when I see a new Rufus Wainwright or vegetarian cooking headline show up in my email. A little bit of happiness, right there in my inbox, which I can greedily read right then and there, or I can prolong that excitement, and put it off for a couple of hours. Or a couple of days, if I want to. It's the same reason I love my DVR service.

Of course, once in a while I want to read about something more substantial, something that affects myself and my family everyday. That something is Autism, of course.

When I saw this headline from Google Alerts, I immediately felt a little nauseous.

This child died two years ago, and the parents are now suing the "doctor"for wrongful death. This is the first I've heard of the story, but I have to say it: I'm angry that this "doctor" made a fatal mistake that killed a child, and I'm pissed that the parents sought out this quack therapy to "cure" their child of Autism.

More than that, though, I just feel an overwhelming sadness for this little boy who died. I wonder if his parents are happy now? I mean, when you think about it...they found the cure for Autism, right?

3 comments:

momof3feistykids said...

How sad. I don't judge the parents. I understand the drive that makes one feel "what if this is a way to make life *better* for my child? what if I am cheating him by NOT trying it?" I am sad for the whole family. :-(

I have read about chelation on other lists - it seems that many parents with kids "on the spectrum" are drawn to this. I read enough about it to decide it was probably quackery - but it is difficult for parents to be sure. There is SO MUCH information out there for us autism spectrum parents (and everything is hailed as a miracle by *someone.*) It's easy to make a wrong step.

I've been thinking about y'all today - hope you have a great trip to the airport. I bet Shelby is thrilled to be coming home.

Sharon - Mom Generations said...

Now that made me sick. My God... though I agree that you can't judge parents... they HAD to know that this therapy was frowned upon and that it was HIGH RISK.

I came across your blog through Crazy Mama Bloggers... love it!!!

- Audrey
Pinks & Blues Girls

a happier girl said...

That's so sad. I understand wanting to try anything to help your child but you'd think you'd check the doctor out really well before you let him at your kid. So sad.